Monday, November 2, 2009

Pumpkin n' Spice Scones



Saturday was Halloween, and I hope it was a good one for everyone.  We had a blast this year, we went trick or treating with some friends, then hung out their house for a little after party.  My 3 yr old got to walk around with two big 1st graders, and she was very proud of that.  She was also completely worn out after.

Before the festivities, we were just hanging around the house, when my wonderful husband asked if I was bringing something.  Crap-cakes!  For someone who loves to cook and bake, you would think I would remember things like oh... bringing a little something to a party!  So now I was in a mad rush to figure something out.

I started looking towards my usuals: croissants? - no definitely not enough time for that; banana bread? - nope, only one banana left; cupcakes? - kind of overkill on a night when we will have just been trick or treating.  Wait I know, scones.  Sure their sweet, but not quite as bad as a cupcake, right?

Let's see, I thought to myself, there was a recipe I wanted to try on Food Network.  I don't have the exact ingredients, but I do have oranges and cranberries, so maybe that flavor instead.  Hmm....  Wait I know, I have pureed pumpkin, I should make pumpkin scones!  Genius.  lol

Since adding pumpkin is very different from just changing the berry and zest in a recipe, I did a search.  I found this wonderful sounding recipe for imitation pumpkin scones from Starbucks.  It had great reviews, and yet, being who I am I couldn't leave well enough alone.  So here is my version of pumpkin scones.  They were a huge hit.

Pumpkin n' Spice Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
6 Tbsp cold dairy free margarine
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
Zest from half an orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp coconut milk
1 large egg
powdered sugar glaze (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spice in a large bowl.  Using a pastry cutter or 2 knifes, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly (butter should be about pea sized at most).

In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, zest, vanilla extract, milk and egg.  Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until you have a very soft dough.  Form dough into a ball.

Pat the dough out on a lightly floured surface to form a 1 inch thick rectangle (should roughly be 9" x 3").  With a knife (* I recommend flouring the knife!), cut the rectangle in half length wise.  Then into thirds width wise.  Cute each mini rectangle diagonally to make triangles, you should end with a total of 12 triangles.  Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, they should be lightly browned.  Place on a wire rack to cool.  Once cooled, top with powder sugar glaze.

Powder Sugar Glaze
1 cup powder sugar
2 Tbsp coconut milk

Whisk ingredients together until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment