Sunday, January 10, 2010

Great Blog Post About Superfoods

I wanted to direct your attention over to Mission: Vegan for an excellent post on Superfoods in smoothies.  I use many of these ingredients for my own smoothies (and I love cacao on my oatmeal!).  I recognize that these products are not cheap, however, I think if you concentrate on buying one or two a month, you will find it easier.  The small amount needed for smoothies (or other things) will stretch the cost out for you.

So my favorite smoothie recipe?  Its a Mango-Strawberry Smoothie.  It comes to about $3.50 for about 18 oz of smoothie, which I share with my daughter.  On top of the goodness from coconut water and goji berries, it has a nice healthy dose of calcium (which those of us on a dairy free diet always appreciate).

1 cup coconut water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp goji berries
1 cup frozen mango chunks
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 a banana
2 large leafs of kale

Blend and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link and for the recipe! I'll have to give it a try.

    A note about calcium: while dairy does contain calcium, it creates an acidic environment in the body. Our body then releases calcium to neutralize it. So, it actually leads to calcium loss.

    Meghan has a blog post all about it. I tried to link to it here, but your comment box doesn't allow links, I guess. The title of the blog post is "milking it for all it's worth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look into it. I know when we went dairy free, that was the one thing our Dr was worried about, us not getting enough calcium. I have read that calcium from vegetables and fruit is easier for our bodies to absorb.

    ReplyDelete