Sunday, June 13, 2010

In a Pinch

Good heavens!  Its another "cake" post.  I guess it's just that time of the year for us.  Though, this isn't a traditional cake in any sense of the word.

Normally, I don't mind us being dairy free.  It is what it is, and at home I am just set up for it.  We even navigate really well around our favorite dinning spots.  Basically, it's second nature now and I don't really have to think about it.

Except when a party comes up.  My daughter is 4, she gets invited to lots of parties and I always assume I need to bring something.  So why I forgot this weekend about needing to at least make a cupcake for her to enjoy during the cake and ice cream of Saturdays party, I don't know.  But I did.  AND, I was completely out of flour until my shopping trip.  I could make a special trip to the store for flour, or try Whole Foods on the way to the party in hopes that they have some vegan cupcakes available (totally hit or miss)...

My wonderful husband had another idea.  It looks like a layered peanut butter and jelly sandwich, huh.  Well its close.

My husband likes to experiment with food, in ways I would never consider trying.  Well earlier this week he tried combining: coconut milk vanilla yogurt, organic raw almond butter and some organic grape jelly.  It tasted very creamy, like something you might put in a puff.  So his suggestion when I was telling him my dilemma: make a cake using our homemade bread and this concoction and frost the outside.

So I did.  I cut a relatively thick slice from my loaf of bread, then cut that into four equal squares.  It was small, about the size of a regular cupcake.  In between each slice was my husband's creamy almond butter and jelly concoction.  Then I took a basic frosting recipe (strawberry flavored) and frosted it.  The final product, though not pretty, was VERY tasty.

There are a couple things I would do differently, though.  First, I would use less yogurt and/or more almond butter.  My final filling product was runny and the bread slices were sliding around.  Second, I would let the "cake" harden in the fridge (or freezer) for a little while before I frosted it.  The slice of bread was fresh and soft, which made it hard to frost.  And finally, I would like to try a thinner coating of frosting next time, which I think will be easier to accomplish if I let the "cake" harden some first.

When it has been perfected, I will share the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment