Saturday, October 17, 2009

Almond Milk

I don't have a picture for today's experiment, but.. I mean... you know what milk looks like right?  I realized yesterday as I emptied the last of the soy milk into my daughters cup that I had not bought enough soy milk for the week.  What could mommy do?

Sure I could go to the store and buy more, but I'm trying not to make extra trips to the grocery store since they ALWAYS result in un-needed purchases.  I admit it, I'm an impulse buyer.  I always find something we could use it seems.  As we I am trying to 'reel' in our grocery budget, I decided to try something else.  I knew I had raw almonds in the cupboard, we use them for snacks.  Is it possible I have enough ingredients to make a decent almond milk?  After a quick google search and a peruse of a couple recipes, I decided this was a possibility.

The milk turned out fine.  Although I wish I had a finer strainer for it since I did still end up with some pulp.  If I were to make a habit of making my own nut milk, I would purchase a nut milk bag.   I like the idea of making my own nut milk, it is a great way to control what is in it.  However, unless I can find some source of very cheap raw almonds, it is definitely not economical.

Almond Milk

What you need:
1 cup raw almonds
4 cups water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
natural sweetener to taste (I used honey)
a really good blender
a strainer of some sort

Soak the almonds in water overnight.  After almonds have soaked for at least 8 hours, drain and rinse until water runs clear.  Put almonds, 4 cups of water, vanilla extract, and sweetener into blender and blend on high until you stop hearing rattling.  Pour milk through your strainer into your storage container and there is your milk!

I read that you can keep the pulp for other purposes so I am doing that and am looking for something to make now.  So watch for that post.

No comments:

Post a Comment