Friday, October 2, 2009

Chimichangas





On a whole, we don't often eat beef.  It tends to feel like a gut bomb in my stomach, and my husband says the same.  When I try a new recipe, though, I usually feel I should follow it exactly the first time through before I make changes.  So I go out and buy the exact ingredients the recipe calls for, only to end up changing it as I go to fit our tastes.  I don't in general think there is anything wrong with adjusting the recipe, I just wish I would plan for it ahead of time.  So I can say that when I make these again, I will be using ground turkey instead of beef.

The recipe itself is from the book Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer.  Like I said above, I made a few changes, so that is the recipe I'm posting.  One thing I did that I wont write in the recipe is make some special ones for my 3 year old.  She is not a fan of spicy things, so I mixed the beef mixture with just the sour cream and then made her chimichangas with that, then put in the rest of the ingredients for the adult chimichangas.  She enjoyed them just as much as my husband and I, so I can say its a winner meal.

Chimichangas

1 tsp salt
1 lb lean ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey or pork would work)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp crushed oregano
1/2 cup canned green chilies, chopped
1/2 cup taco sauce
1/2 cup sour cream * I use tofutti brand sour cream, which is soy based
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
10 - 7 inch tortillas *use corn for gluten and wheat free
enough vegetable oil to get about 1/2 an inch depth in an 8-inch skillet

Sprinkle salt in medium skillet.  Place over medium heat.  Add meat, garlic, and spices.  Cook until meat loses pinkness.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Remove from heat.

In an 8-inch skillet, add oil and heat to medium heat.  Place 1 tortilla at a time in skillet and "fry" for about 5 seconds a side and let cool on the side.  Mound filling on the center of the tortilla.  Fold tortilla in envelope fashion.  Place seam side down in ungreased 11x7 baking dish.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Bake until crispy, about 15 minutes.  Optional toppings; soy cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and additional sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment